The Borgo Saletta is a true expression of the whole estate, encompassing a blend of predominantly Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Merlot from all vineyard sites. Although the varietals are the same as Saletta, a significantly greater percentage of Merlot in the Borgo Saletta adds fruit aromatics and suppleness. The focus is on fine tannins in order to provide more immediate drinkability.
The wine is aged for just under a year in oak barrels that have already seen 1-2 years of use for the cellaring of Saletta, which contributes complexity without the more marked definition of new oak.
Approximately 12,000 to 15,000 bottles of the Borgo Saletta are produced each year, beginning with the 2004 vintage. Earlier vintages can benefit from a 5-10 year cellaring cycle but can also be enjoyed earlier.
The Borgo Saletta’s slightly more fruit-forward character and medium structure is ideal for a wide range of main course dishes, including lighter meats such as chicken and veal. The wine can also be served at cellar temperature of 14 degrees C rather than ambiant temperature if needed. A short period of decanting is recommended, particularly for the earlier vintages.
The 2004 vintage received a Commended in the Over £10 category at Decanter World Wine Awards 2009 and a Silver Medal (Best in Class) in the Rosso IGT Toscana category at the International Wine and Spirits Competition 2009.
The 2005 vintage received a Gold Medal at the 48 Concorso Nazionale dei Vini DOCG-DOC-IGT 2009 Pramaggiore-Veneto, a Commended in the Over £10 category at Decanter World Wine Awards 2009, and a Gold Medal in the Rosso IGT Toscana category at the International Wine and Spirits Competition 2009. This vintage also received a Diploma di Merito in the Rosso IGT Toscana category in the Selezione dei Vini di Toscana hosted by the Tuscan Regional Commission.
- 2009 – Medaglia d’ORO all’ International Wine and Spirit Competition (IWSC) – Londra (UK)
Gold Medal : “Vintage 2005” – Silver Medal (Best in Class) “Vintage 2004”
- 2009 – Medaglia d’ORO al Concorso Nazionale a PRAMAGGIORE (Veneto) Gold Medal : “ Vintage 2005”
- 2011 – “Selezione dei Vini di Toscana “ Diploma di Merito “Vintage 2005”
- 2011 – International Wine and Spirits (IWSC) – Silver Medal “Vintage 2006“
- 2012 – Sommelier Wine Awards – Silver Medal Rosso Toscano “Vintage 2006”
- 2012 – “Selezione dei Vini di Toscana “ Diploma di Merito “Vintage 2006”
- 2013 – Mondus Vini – Concorso Internazionale in Germania – Silver Medal “Vintage 2007”